Let’s be honest: This time of year is all about food. Whether it’s holiday parties, cookie exchanges or festive dinners with family and friends, food is everywhere. And with so much temptation, even the healthiest eaters can wake up kicking themselves for having overdone it the night before.
Overindulging is often the result of not paying attention to what — and how much — we eat. The trick to avoiding total derailment? Turn mindless eating into mindful eating. Here are five simple strategies for tuning in to what you eat – so you can enjoy the holidays without sabotaging your health and fitness goals.
1) See what you are consuming. Never eat directly from a package; portion everything out on your dish.
2) Plan your food and eat often. Don’t go more than 3-4 hours without eating.
3) Slow down. Relax and enjoy your food. Put down your utensils and breathe between bites.
4) Avoid distractions. Stay away from eating while reading or watching TV. Live in the moment and enjoy your food.
5) Portion wisely. Use smaller plates and size up your food: half plate of veggies, quarter plate of protein and fat, and quarter plate of carb dense food (fruit and starch).
Follow these five simple steps, and you’ll be on your way to not just body fat loss but also a healthier lifestyle.